February 17, 2014

Happy Presidents Day

When I was a child we had a holiday for George Washington's birthday and another one for Abe Lincoln's birthday. Both were in February, and eventually they were combined into Presidents Day.

I actually grew up on land that was once owned by President Washington. In honor of his now-shared holiday, I'm posting two pictures from the old mill he owned at Mount Vernon. I took these pictures quite a while back; probably around 1998. I altered them in Photoshop and posted them on one of my webpages, which back then were hosted on AOL. Eventually AOL eliminated their web hosting so I moved most of my pages to other servers. These images are on my Old Mills page, which apparently I have not revised since 2008.


3 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see, I've always wanted to visit Mount Vernon! I love that second one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, remember separate holidays for Presidents Lincoln and Washington. I'm glad you were able to save your pictures of Washington's mill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative work!

    I would like to see that mill for myself.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.