November 11, 2010

Thoughts on Veterans Day

I admire the courage of people who put their lives on the line,
who act on the principle that their group, their community, their country is important,
more important than their own safety.
I've walked on many battlefields, felt awe at the commitment and bravery of soldiers who fought there.
And I've read many books about the Civil War and other struggles in my country
and I am convinced that the average soldier joined their cause because of a feeling we call patriotism
Which is not so much about a philosophy as it is about geography.
A connection with a place, loyalties toward the familiar and the loved.

cavalry at Middletown

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.