May 29, 2008

Unplug those chargers!

Y'all know to unplug your chargers when not needed, right? This saves energy but more significantly, electrical chargers occasionally cause fires - not often, fortunately, but once in a while a charger or battery is defective and can put off sparks or worse.

I was reminded of this today when I looked up the Apple Powerbook class action settlement. Some users have reported that their laptop chargers put off sparks, catching nearby papers on fire, even ruining the computer! Anyway, I got an email the other day saying I can participate in a class action settlement if my laptop belongs to a rather large group of Powerbooks and iBooks. Rather than click on the link in the email ('cuz you never know if such an email is legit), I searched for info on the case. The URL matches the one in the email and the site appears legitimate. See the FAQ at www.gordonvapple.rosenthalco.com/faq.html.

I have to admit I leave devices charging at night - probably not a 100% safe thing to do. We always unplug all chargers when we go out though. We also unplug heat-producing small appliances such as the coffee-maker and toaster, just in case. It only takes a few seconds and could prevent a fire, say if a switch stopped working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.