April 11, 2008

Not Enough Suite Memory...

I wanted to buy Adobe Photoshop CS3 and figured a new version of Dreamweaver would be a good idea too. (Dreamweaver is now owned by Adobe). Since I'm officially a student, I figured I'd check the Adobe Education Store. Indeed the discounts for students are great. I spotted Creative Suite 3 Web Premium and saw that it included Photoshop Extended, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Flash and more for the price of getting just Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Seemed like a logical choice.

Unfortunately, when I tried to install the software, I saw that my laptop does not have enough RAM for all of it. Thought that I could just install the two applications that I needed, since I had enough RAM for them. But no. You can no longer unbundle the suite and install part of it.

Thinking of other software combos, I didn't believe it at first. Finally I called Adobe and they confirmed that you cannot split up the suite. However, they would issue a refund and it didn't matter that I had opened the box. I could just fill out and sign a form and they would invalidate the serial number and issue me a credit.

Once I get confirmation from my credit card that I have not been charged, I'll buy Photoshop CS3. I've already downloaded a trial copy; so all I need is the new serial number and I can keep using it after the 30-day trial is up.

Is the new version worth the cost? Probably. Photoshop CS2 has some problems on my operating system, and I really like the way the Actions menu behaves now. (I use it a lot because I have created a couple of actions for the way I process photos.) So CS3 seems to save
time.

I really wanted to get Lightroom but it'll have to wait. I don't have enough RAM for that either. Guess I will be looking at new Macs before too long. But not quite yet. One has to use a little restraint or buying technology can make your credit card balance exceed your bank balance really fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.